Currently, the State Legislature is considering whether to require permanent conservation from communities across California, with new rules developed and enforced by unelected and unaccountable state regulators.
More than 100 local water suppliers, cities and business groups from throughout California support a more balanced approach for making our communities even more water efficient and better prepared for drought.
Specifically, local water suppliers favor an approach that:
- Sets new water use targets that reflect the unique water situation of each community
- Requires that elected lawmakers have a say in future water use targets
- Protects local rights to water
- Improves drought preparedness planning
- Promotes communities’ use of recycled water
- Protects local investments in water system infrastructure and drought-resilient supplies
This locally-based, alternative approach will make our communities more water secure in wet years and in drought.
We believe California can best improve its water use efficiency and readiness for drought by keeping water decisions in the hands of local water suppliers.
Take action today! Help support state legislation that would maintain local control of our water supplies by contacting your state legislators.
- Read our position statement on improving drought preparedness and water use efficiency
- Send an email to your officials with one click